Saturday, May 1, 2010

I'm still here... but on the road again.

I've been away for awhile I know... No reason really, I just haven't had any blog-able material.  I'll blame work for sucking the energy and creativity out of me lately.   Anyway, I've started riding my road bike again. I rebuilt it a few years back as a single-speed, no shifting gears, just one very big gear up front and a tiny one in back.  I used to ride regularly years ago as a way to keep in shape for the ski season and just got out of the habit as "life" got underway.   Two years ago I signed up for a KC Corporate Challenge event; a 5000meter (2.5 miles) sprint as a way to get motivated to get in shape and set a goal.  Well, I developed such bad tendinitis in my elbow and numbness and pain in my hands (not good for a guitar player) that I couldn't ride.  After finding some relief from that, but not until well after the event, I set my sites on the next year.  The next spring some of you may remember that I broke my ankle a year in a horrific (i.e. embarrassing) accident walking across a street while texting on my BlackBerry.  (Yes, I'm that guy)  So, here I am roughly a month away from the event and no severe pain is racking my body.  Thank You, LORD!  I've gotten several training rides under my wheels and my performance is improving.  It's not quite to the performance goal I've set but I've still got time and the rain is drying up a little.  I've even ordered a few cycling gadgets to make the ride a little better...   If you choose you can witness the spectacle (me in cycling gear should be hilarious by itself) on Wednesday the 26th at 7pm at the Kansas Speedway.  That's when the people in the middle of the age bracket race... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment